Subject: Re: shell question
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Brown <chrsbrwn@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/03/1999 10:57:38
On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 04:04:07PM +0200, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 03, 1999 at 10:05:05AM -0400, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
> > Hi all,
> > This is a pretty general question & should be easy to answer :-). I know
> > that changing root's shell is considered a no-no, mostly since sh and csh
>
> Why a no-no? A few months ago we had a big discussion about changing root's
> login shell to /bin/sh. The decision was to keep it csh, but as far as I remember
> mostly for historical reasons.
>
> On my systems I routinely change root's login shell to /bin/sh (or to bash if
> it is available) and don't see any adverse effects. The startup scripts (rc and

Just for another data point, I routinely change my root shell to /bin/ksh
(also if available). I'm rather addicted to the vi-like command-line editing
facilities :)

I have experienced no adverse effects as well: except maybe increased
productivity :)

--
Chris Brown -- Macintosh networking/Web development
<chrsbrwn@mindspring.com> <http://www.mindspring.com/~chrsbrwn>