Subject: Re: inodes, newfs and Mkfs
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/02/1999 18:01:26
On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Jul 1999, Christopher P. Gill wrote:
>
> > Greetings, all.
> >
> > Before I try out NetBSD/mac68k's version of newfs for the first time, I'd
> > like to know if there are any issues that I should be aware of relating to
> > operating quirks and/or differences compared to Mkfs.
>
> By default newfs will make a file system which the installer and booter
> won't reliably work with. It'll work some of the time, but not be
> reliable.
>
> I usually keep / an old-style fs, and make all the other fs's new.

Right, I think I'd figured out that much from my reading.  If that's the
only issue, then I guess I'm fine.  I already have an extra boot partition
(untested, though) on the newer disk, so /dev/sd1h certainly doesn't need
to be bootable, and probably not installable.

If I really needed to make it boot&install compatible, I'd try to identify
that partition in Mkfs under MacOS, and just re-convert it.

Thanks.

"Don't die wondering..."                http://www.cldc.howard.edu/~cpg
                                              email: cpg@scs.howard.edu
chris out-              Christopher P. Gill
  peace.        C.L.D.C. Senior System Operator (Ret.)