Subject: inodes, newfs and Mkfs
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/02/1999 15:34:50
Greetings, all.

Before I try out NetBSD/mac68k's version of newfs for the first time, I'd
like to know if there are any issues that I should be aware of relating to
operating quirks and/or differences compared to Mkfs.

Basically, I'm out of inodes on the partition that I was partially fnished
moving /usr/pkgsrc to, and I want to double the number of inodes using
newfs and try again.  However, seeing how I've been made aware of
weirdness in df, and I've heard something about the disk label (used by
newfs) not being properly written or read, I'd like to know of any
'gotchas' so that I don't inadvertently torpedo that partition - or the
whole drive.

Is the default of 4096 bytes/inode in newfs also used by Mkfs?  In that
case, I could simply use:

newfs -i 2048 /dev/sd1h

Now since disklabel reports:

#      size   offset     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
h:   160826   905076     4.2BSD        0     0     0   # (Cyl.1909*-2248*)

for that partition, I figure that 160826 512-byte blocks is equivalent to
about 20103 of the 4096-byte blocks, so when df -i /sdev/sd1h reports:

Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused
Mounted on
/dev/sd1h      514351   479111   -16196   103%   19454       0   100%

I figure that the counts are close enough (assuming I can trust inode
counts in df).

Any advice?

"Don't die wondering..."                http://www.cldc.howard.edu/~cpg
                                              email: cpg@scs.howard.edu
chris out-              Christopher P. Gill
  peace.        C.L.D.C. Senior System Operator (Ret.)