Subject: Re: auto booting after a PWR failure?
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@guy.chonju21.net>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1999 14:33:35
At 5:55 AM -0700 7/1/99, Guy Santiglia wrote:
>  I have my quadra set to boot automatically after MacOS
>start up.  But if the power goes down and comes back up again
>it doesn't work because I have my netbsd boot partion on
>an external disk drive. (and a minimum MacOS on the internal)
> That external drive needs a few seconds more to
>start up and doesn't get mounted under MacOS when power is restored.
>So the netbsd booter starts up and can't find my boot partion with
>the kernel.  (At least that's what I think is happening)

I think this was considered a bug, which was fixed in later Mac's, but on
the II series machines SCSI ID 0 was treated differently.  If the boot disk
was 0 then the Mac would wait as long as necessary for it to come ready and
boot from it.  If the startup control panel pointed a something else it
would only try once and then cycle through the ID sequence (0, 6, 5, . .
.).  The presumption was that ID 0 was the internal disk and was most
likely to be the "real" boot device wanted.