Subject: Re: Old Mac + big drive = no BSD?
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1999 14:10:48
On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:

> but as I said, OTOH in my Q 950 it's there instantaneously, even when I
> suppress the ram check (which takes a while considering there are 160
> MB). But sure, on the IIsi the ram check can not take that much time .
> . .:))

*chuckles*  I've not seen one start up in under about 15 seconds, but I
suppose it's possible that all my supplies are massively under-powered.
Or it might depend on the size of Barricuda, too.  Actually, let me
clarify.  On my machines, no matter the supply, it spins up in probably
just a few seconds, but sits there waiting for something before it
actually does its thermal calibration stuff (I _guess_ that's what that
sound is at the end of spin-up...).  It may also be waiting for some other
drive to not be doing something on the bus.  Dunno.

> Nevertheless, it is a very nice hd, IMHO.

Definitely.  :-)

David