Subject: Re: auto booting after a PWR failure?
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@guy.chonju21.net>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 07/01/1999 10:02:56
>  I think if I put the minimum MacOS that I use to boot NetBSD on the
>external drive, it should work.  I have
>several OS's on the system. Two on the external hard drive.  But the minimum
>MacOS that I use to boot
>NetBSD is on the internal drive.  The system always remembers the last one
>that it was booted from and starts from there regardless of which disk or
>partition it's on.  So if I booted the system from MacOS on the external
>hard drive, it should start up from there after a power outage, too.
>I'll try that later and post the results.  I should have thought before.

Actually, the system shouldn't be "remembering" the last system that it
booted from. The system should first look at its PRAM, where the startup
disk control panel tells it where to boot from (OK, actually this is second
to floppy). Then, if that fails it'll try the internal hard drive (SCSI ID
0). After that, it starts at the highest SCSI ID & works its way back down
to SCSI ID 1. All that is assuming that you're not holding down the "c"
(try booting from CDROM), cmd-opt-shift-delete (skip internal IS 0), or
cmd-opt-shift-delete-ID# (try to boot from the SCSI ID number being held
down).
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.