Subject: Re: Old Mac + big drive = no BSD?
To: Beth Sundheim <beth@110.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/30/1999 20:45:37
Beth Sundheim wrote:
> Hello folks,

hi!

> I recently acquired a used 4.3 GB SCSI internal hard drive, which I have
> installed in a disused IIsi, hoping to give this machine new life and to
> create a more capacious NetBSD system than the one I've currently got
> squeezed onto a tiny 80MB hard drive in my Classic II. The hard drive is
> healthy and functional, but too large to be mounted at startup. SCSIProbe
> identifies the drive, but won't mount it; Apple's HD SC Setup, which I used
> to set up my other NetBSD disk, doesn't see the drive at all. Recent
> versions of Drive Setup will happily mount and partition the drive, but it
> warns that the system software won't recognize a disk this size without
> multiple partitions, and furthermore it won't allow any of those partitions
> to be ProDos or A/UX or other non-Macintosh formats. So I'm in a bit of a
> bind.

you can partition it into standard hfs partitions and then change the
types using the mkfs utility.  just make sure that none of the individual
partitions are too large and that you unmount the partitions from the
desktop before you run mkfs on them.  also, you might try a patched
version of HD SC setup since the normal version doesn't recognize
non-apple hard drives.

i hope this helps.

later.

colin