Subject: Re: 1.4 kernels and scsi support
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
From: David A. Gatwood <dgatwood@mvista.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1999 13:09:05
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Bill Studenmund wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 bob@kunk.jriver.com wrote:
>
> > I've been really careful about that. One thing does mystify me though...
> > The performa has the internal hard drive on the end of the internal
> > cable and a CDROM inline on the internal cable. The internal cable ends at the
> > connector to the motherboard. In my system, the hard drive is terminated and I
> > assume the other end of the termination is on the motherboard. What happens
> > though when you plug in an external drive? Does the motherboard automatically
> > switch off it's internal termination because the external drive must be
> > terminated?
>
> I believe so> Apple has documented this behavior in PowerMac machines.

I'm almost positive that it has an active terminator on the motherboard
that disconnects if there's a bus present.  Same thing on both sides of
the bus.  If there's no internal, there's supposedly termination on the
motherboard then, too.  Not sure about the details or whether it's one
terminator or two.

David