Subject: Re: 1.4 kernels and scsi support
To: None <bob@kunk.jriver.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1999 06:36:36
bob@kunk.jriver.com <bob@kunk.jriver.com> wrote:

>User Ken Nakata says:
>> On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:24:11 -0500 (CDT), bob@kunk.jriver.com wrote:
>> > I'm working with a performa 575 and netbsd 1.4 release 6/22/99
>> >
>> > I've tried 3 scsi drives so far with the following results..
>> [...]
>> I'd make sure the bus is terminated properly.
>
>I've been really careful about that. One thing does mystify me though...
>The performa has the internal hard drive on the end of the internal
>cable and a CDROM inline on the internal cable. The internal cable ends at
>the
>connector to the motherboard. In my system, the hard drive is terminated
>and I
>assume the other end of the termination is on the motherboard. What happens
>though when you plug in an external drive? Does the motherboard automatically
>switch off it's internal termination because the external drive must be
>terminated?

I run a Performa-550 which is the '030 version of the 575 and I saw the
same problem on my disks after I added an external disk at one point.  It
turned out to be a termination problem which I solved by putting an
active terminator on the last drive in the chain.  This one is smart
enough to know when it has to terminate things and does it automatically.
 Don't remember where I got it but I think I found it at a computer flea
market.  Anyway, since then nothing I've tossed at my system has caused a
problem.

-bob