Subject: Re: 1.4 kernels and scsi support
To: None <bob@kunk.jriver.com>
From: Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/29/1999 12:38:13
On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:24:11 -0500 (CDT), bob@kunk.jriver.com wrote:
> I'm working with a performa 575 and netbsd 1.4 release 6/22/99
>
> I've tried 3 scsi drives so far with the following results..

[...]

I'd make sure the bus is terminated properly.

> I tried all 3 cases on both the generic and sbc kernels. No difference.

Expected and completely normal.  575 is an 040 based box with an
NCR58C94 (or was it 58C96?) chip which is different from all 030 boxes
and PowerBooks (incl. the 500 series).  So, neither ncrscsi nor sbc
driver is used but esp driver is used instead.

> Also, I tried different memory settings in the Installer and it had no
> effect on when the installer bombed. It "seems" to have something to do
> with the length of the .tgz file..

Installer seems to get flakey from time to time (no offense to the
authors), but I understand that we are moving toward sysinst based
installation, which runs completely on NetBSD once Booter boots a
kernel.  When that happens, many problems associated with MacOS-based
Installer will disappear (and new ones will be introduced with no
doubt).

Ken