Subject: Re: can a partition be expanded?
To: Frederick Bruckman , John Valdes <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1999 16:28:29
At 11:29 AM -0700 6/28/99, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
>drive attached! Another is that I'm not sure what happens if you
>create a partition map without any MacOS driver. Of course you can
>boot with no map and no driver, otherwise you couldn't very well
>format disks, but a map with no driver? Don't know. Of course, there
>are no open source Mac disk drivers.

You need a MacOS partition somewhere to boot through, though it could just
be on floppy if you are willing to wait that long.  There's a howto on how
to do that, but I'd still recommend at least a 2MB MacOS disk partition for
boot speed.

To get to the point, no you don't need any MacOS partitions on a disk in
order to use them under MacBSD.  macbsd.jpl.nasa.gov has four disks and
only two of them have any MacOS partions.  One of those has a partition map
partition and unix swap space only.  Another has a partition map partition
and two user partitions on it (slice 5 and 6 if I remember correctly).

There are some funnies with the printout from disklabel.  It gets confused
somehow, but I can't remember how exactly.  The problem does not seem to
affect anything else though.  The kerberos server on that machine seems to
have gone south so I can't log in to check the details.