Subject: FLOPPY and IWM was Re: mounting HFS disks
To: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
From: Riccardo Mottola <rmottola@spm.it>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/28/1999 00:07:00
>Hah! A test person!  ;)

will do, chief. Wie sie w=9Fnschen.

>First, good to hear that the iwm driver supports the second drive. No

>particular reason why it shouldn't, just I had no external drive to
test

>the code with.

at startup both seem to be recognized

>Second, do you per chance have a vanilla Macintosh II that is IWM
equipped,

>i.e. _without_ the FDHD upgrade? From the little documentation that I
have

>about Apple's floppy disk controllers I suspect that there are slight

>differences between some of the IWM's register bits and those of the
SWIM

>in IWM mode. It would be nice if this could be clarified.

mine has two FDHD disks, although i don't know what exactly was
upgraded. I got the box used and was just happy to have 1.4 disks. the
thing reports IWN though, not SWIM.

>Coming to your questions... the mac68k floppy driver currently only

>supports 800k Macintosh GCR formatted disks. "Low-level" formatting
those

>disks is not rocket science, but I haven't come around to writing the
code,

>so for now you have to format the disks in MacOS.

am quite under pressure but will try as soon as i can and post report
to the list, public to all.

after all i have to experiment with unix a bit, have to configure
mail, so i can send a PR as was requested.

another problem is that i wanted to have a pascal. Gnu PC was adivsed
me. i had to d/l also gcc, i filled up my dis to 98% and wasn't able
to compile it (gives an error in the make). if someone has a ready
pascal in which i can develop it would be useful.

anyway until the SCSI freezes are fixed the thing is quite
unusable.... so i hope to get mail and PR working as soon as possible,

cheers, it's late night, riccardo