Subject: Re: can a partition be expanded?
To: Fischer Roger <RFischer@PanAmSat.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1999 14:33:54
Fischer, Roger wrote:
> > > Hello NetBSD'ers
> > >
> > > It it possible to non-destructively expand my /usr
> > > partition to utilize this new space?
> >
> > > I also have a DAT drive (DDS-1?) that I have not used
> > > on NetBSD yet.  I could TAR up /usr to DAT, combine
> > > and reformat my /usr partition, then restore the backup.
> >
> > no.  although if you have enough room, you can tar the whole thing up, put
> > it on some other partition, expand the partition, rerun mkfs on it, and
> > then untar the archive back on it.  of course, i wouldn't recommend this
> > as there are a couple of rather nasty gotchas in the sequence i just
> > listed (like the fact that tar is currently in /usr/bin).
> >
> >  oh, yeah, this is what i meant (that'll teach me to not read ahead ;-)
> > i'd make sure that your DAT drive actually works with netbsd first, tho.
>
> Would it hurt to temporarily copy the "tar" and "gzip" to the /bin
> directory?

that wouldn't work b/c they're not statically linked.  you need /usr/lib
around as well :-(

> Any other programs that I'd need?

those are about it, but i don't know what else is in /usr/lib that you
need (other than libc.so, i'd guess).

> Do I need to mount
> the tape drive or just copy to that device?  Is there a good readme
> on tape drives?  I haven't used one with unix before

you got me on this one.  i know there is an 'mt' command to mount a tape,
but that's about all i know about it.  perhaps someone else on the list
will know a little more about backups.

like i said before tho, it's pretty easy to just create another partition,
mount in on /a or something like that, and then make symbolic links
wherever you need to do so.

later.

colin