Subject: Re: can a partition be expanded?
To: Fischer Roger <RFischer@PanAmSat.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1999 13:36:14
Fischer, Roger wrote:
> Hello NetBSD'ers
>
> I want to thank everybody for the excellent help
> in the past.  I've got what might be an easy question.
>
> I recently removed/shrunk a Mac HFS partition on my
> Quantum 3.2 Fireball drive, leaving a nice 400MB
> chunk sitting right next to my /usr NetBSD partition.
>
> It it possible to non-destructively expand my /usr
> partition to utilize this new space?

no.  although if you have enough room, you can tar the whole thing up, put
it on some other partition, expand the partition, rerun mkfs on it, and
then untar the archive back on it.  of course, i wouldn't recommend this
as there are a couple of rather nasty gotchas in the sequence i just
listed (like the fact that tar is currently in /usr/bin).

> I know that the easy think to do would be to create
> a new partition and mount it somewhere underneath
> the /usr tree (like /usr/pkg) or something.  I could
> also throw /var or /tmp onto the additional partition,
> but I'm hoping a little extra work would help later.

i'd definitely go this route...

> I also have a DAT drive (DDS-1?) that I have not used
> on NetBSD yet.  I could TAR up /usr to DAT, combine
> and reformat my /usr partition, then restore the backup.

oh, yeah, this is what i meant (that'll teach me to not read ahead ;-)
i'd make sure that your DAT drive actually works with netbsd first, tho.

later.

colin