Subject: Re: mounting HFS disks
To: Riccardo Mottola <rmottola@spm.it>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/25/1999 10:21:11
On 25 Jun 1999, Riccardo Mottola wrote:

> any way to mount an HFS partition under BSD? it would be very useful, also
> because i am quite running low on disk space.

Try installing the sysutils/hfsutils package. For general information
on the package system, start at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html>

> besides, i have a Mac][ and i see that at startup both flobby drives are
> recognized, if i put in a 800k (mac) floppy it even get recognized.
> how do i use flopies thereafter?
> can i use Mac floppies?

Maybe. If so, you would have to use hfsutils, as there is no native
support for HFS.

> can i format a floppy to unix file system? how?

I don't have this on my 840AV, but the way this is done on i386 is to
first run "fdformat", to low-level format (you can skip that step),
then "newfs /dev/rfd0a" to put the ffs filesystem on. Now, you should
be able to mount it with "mount /dev/fd0a /mnt", and the floppy
filesystem now appears under /mnt. Don't forget to "umount /mnt"
before you eject.