Subject: 575 & NetBSD 1.4 memory weirdness?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <bob@kunk.jriver.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/17/1999 10:21:40
After changing drives from a WD enterprise 2 gig to a Fujitsu 1.2 gig I had
much better luck loading 1.4 into the drive from MacOS. If fact, I loaded the
entire OS and X and it worked fine, or so it seemed. I have run into 2
problems.....

1) I try to compile something BIG, like loading the pkgsrc tree, then doing
make kde

It runs for a while, probably a couple of hours, then dies. The messages are
core dumps, usually with something weird, like out of memory... This sounds
suspiciously like some core dumping compile problems I've seen on the list from
some people with 2ci's. What's interesting is that it doesn't seem very
connected to the actual number of items compiled. If I restart it after it dies,it will die in nearly the same place down the make as before even though
with all of the existing .o files, it doesn't have to compile as much.
Perhaps a memory leak in the shell or make? (fishing for sure here).

2) It doesn't matter whether I use the SBC kernel or the Generic kernel, I
get periodic scsi resets on timeouts to the HD. I never saw this behaviour
on 1.3.3 though I WAS using yet another drive (trying not to burn bridges)...

Bob
--
Robert E. Brose II    N0QBJ
http://www.jriver.com/~bob/