Subject: tar when installing sets (Re: 1.4 on LC 575..)
To: None <bob@kunk.jriver.com>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/1999 03:25:04
bob@kunk.jriver.com wrote:

bob> I partitioned the drive with the patched apple hd setup
bob> util, made the filesystem (80 megs swap sd1b and 2g
bob> root&usr sd1a) with mkfs145 and went to install the
bob> base. After some period of time the install gets "write
bob> errors" and dies.

hmm, is app-size of the installer in the Get Info dialog
related to the symptom?

bob> I then cpin the rest of the .tgz sets to the nstbsd
bob> root, boot to netbsd in single user mode and install
bob> all of the sets and X with gzip -dc file | tar xvf -
bob> commands. Usuable but kind of a pain...

tar has -p option to preserve original files' mode bits in
extraction.  Some application programs including xterm need
to be owned by root and be setuid'ed.  Of course this should
be done as a super user.

BTW, NetBSD has /bin/pax for handling archives.  It
recognize several formats i.e. cpio, tar, ustar etc.

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
Hack on NetBSD, and your code runs on over 20 architectures!