Subject: Re: real mem / avail mem
To: Pedro Gonnet <pgonnet@student.ethz.ch>
From: Ryan Ordway <sammael@pacifier.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/1999 12:59:46
At 12:47 PM -0700 6/15/99, Pedro Gonnet wrote:
>me again...
>
>while trying to compile some packages i noticed i wasn't getting all the
>memory i paid for... i have a iicx with 8mb running 1.4 out of the
>tarball. dmesg says:
>
>	real mem = 8388608

	There's your 8MB.

>	avail mem = 4558848

	There's 8MB minus the memory the kernel grabs at bootup. Just
imagine a hidden 'kernel' process that uses around 4MB of RAM.

>running top and doing the math (try adding 4 numbers in one second...) i
>get about 3.5 megs. where's all my ram?

	Well... I know 7.6.1 for me uses over 6MB of RAM, so your kernel is
using less than MacOS would, if that helps! ;-)

	Ryan
--
HELO... my name is rewt... you have SIGKILLed my father... prepare to vi!