Subject: Hardware question - drive case.
To: macbsd <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/15/1999 11:43:39
Hi all,

This will be used for NetBSD so it's only slightly off topic :).

I've got an old Mac II I was going to use as a netbsd IPNat box but am
unwilling to spend _any_ money to upgrade it with an mmu.  Instead I
would like to gut the box save for the power supply and turn in into an
external drive farm that could hold 4 to 5 hard disks.  The power supply
has a wire bundle that contains something like 5 red, 5 black, and I
_think_?  one or two control wires(white & yellow) to turn it on & off.
Has anyone tried  something like this before?

The case has internal mounts for 4 drives, so no problamo there.
I'd need to:

1. get the power from the supply out cord bundle to a scsi drive power
cord bundle and make sure the supply is giving 5v.

2. mount scsi plug on the back of the case and connect it to an internal
scsi cable with many plugs on it. Maybe mount 2 different scsi plugs on
back for use on macs, or NeXTslab.  On second thought an external cable
could do that so only one connector is needed and could be mounted in
the existing hole for a scsi connector on the box.

3. determine how to turn the power on.  Would a momentary switch get it
going or is a perminent connection needed.  I suspect there is an adb
relay switch on the motherboard that trigers the power supply. A new
scheme would be needed

4. determine how to power off.

5. see about internalally mounting a CDROM, I've got a dremmel and am
not afraid to use it.

6. Paint case bondi blu.....no...make that darth vader black w/a daemon
logo.

Any Ideas or past anecdotes are welcome.

Tanks,
Gerald