Subject: 1.4 on LC 575..
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: None <bob@kunk.jriver.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/14/1999 00:11:05
My Performa 575 with 36mb ram and fast 2 gig hard drive w/ hacked 800x600 video
is up and running on 1.4C 19990606 release  as of today.

A few observations...

X works in 16 bit mode @ 800x600 with the onboard video and the newest OSFA
server, COOL, THANKS!!!

The receive speed of the apple comm slot card with the sonic chipset is UNREAL.
sn0 at obio0 address 00:a0:40:2b:c6:24
I did a good sized ftp test receiving to /dev/null, 800k/sec on receive! Wow.
Considerable slower on xmit, more like 170k/sec but that will include disk
access of course.

A couple of error messages...

iwm0 at obio0: Apple GCR floppy disk controller
iwm: Chip revision not supported (-77)
-I didn't REALLY expect this to work...

PRAM time does not appear to have been read correctly.
PRAM: 0x83da82c4, macos_boottime: 0x3763b7f2.
-Is this normal?

Then finally, I got the same weird behavior when trying to install the
"sets" from the distribution as I did with 1.3. Here is the symptom.
I partitioned the drive with the patched apple hd setup util,
made the filesystem (80 megs swap sd1b and 2g root&usr sd1a) with mkfs145 and
went to install the base. After some period of time the install gets "write
errors" and dies. Then I can't write to it at all. The only way I can
get the OS installed is to first make the devs, then install etc (which
goes cleanly if it is first) then the base.tgz. The install of the base gets
most of the way through before dying. I then cpin the rest of the
.tgz sets to the nstbsd root, boot to netbsd in single user mode and
install all of the sets and X with gzip -dc file | tar xvf -
commands. Usuable but kind of a pain...
It's NOT a drive problem, does the same thing with several different
drives and anyway, once in unix the drive behaves perfectly.

Right now, I'm compiling KDE from scratch.. Wheee, it's been running for
6 hours so far ....

Bob
--
Robert E. Brose II    N0QBJ