Subject: Re: Asante & IIci cache card
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/13/1999 14:11:56
On Sun, 13 Jun 1999, Ulrich Hausmann wrote:

> [...]Essentially I wanted to install the Asante ethernet card MC3NB (those
> listed as compatible in the FAQ).
>
> Now, on MacOS side this card does not work, although it is recognized
> by Slotlook & other compareable tools as MacCon Ethernet Card. Another
> ethernet card (NuvoLink) works - but isn't compatible yet (tho it is of
> the "good type" :) ) with NetBSD. Does anyone know if there is a
> conmpatibility problem with that Asante card and the IIci? I suspect
> something like this, since the Asante worked fine in a Q950 and also in
> a IIsi (using the same identical hd, i.e. those from the IIci). The
> ethernet in use here is BNC. Any ideas in regard?

Back when I was in charge of lab maintenance here, we had a couple of labs
of IIcis; most of them used Asante cards and, at the time, we used BNC. I'm
trying (and failing) to remember the model used; I think it was the MacConi
or MacCon3. Regardless, all of the MacCon Nubus series is supposed to work
in the IIci (See <URL:http://www.asante.com/products/p_ad8.html>). On the
MacOS side, you will need to install the drivers and IIRC we had severe
problems with the 5.6 drivers and instead always used 5.5.x drivers. Have
you tried using Asante's Troubleshooter application in MacOS?

FWIW, in NetBSD I'm using either an Apple or "Gator" card on my IIci; I may
be able to scrounge up an Asante card and try it...

--
Dave Schmitt <dschmi1@umbc.edu>