Subject: Re: NCR vs SBC scsi in NetBSD 1.4?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/12/1999 13:12:41
Colin Wood writes:
> John Valdes wrote:
> >
> > Which, if any, is the preferred SCSI driver in 1.4, the NCR or the SBC
> > driver?  I've been using the NCR driver since 1.2, and have only had
> > minor problems w/ it (hangs or panics when accessing HFS partitions on
> > some of my disks; zero problems w/ NetBSD and HFS partitions on my
> > NetBSD disk)
>
> as they say:  if it ain't broke, don't fix it ;-)
>
> i don't believe there have been any really significant changes to either
> driver in the last year or so.  if the ncrscsi driver was working before,
> stick with it.

I usually follow the "if it ain't broke" axiom, but after problems
trying to get xmcd to work w/ the NCR driver ("cannot allocate scsipi
xs" errors when trying to open the CD-ROM drive, followed by a hung
SCSI bus), I decided to give the SBC driver a try.  With that driver,
xmcd works beautifully. :)  The problems I was having accessing my
other HFS partitions (w/ hfsutils) disappeared as well.

I've now switched to the SBC driver.  :)

This is on a IIcx for those keeping score.

John