Subject: Re: scsi problems (error #5)
To: Pedro G. Gonnet <pgonnet@student.ethz.ch>
From: Niels S. Eliasen <nse@ruc.dk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/11/1999 11:06:18
Hello Pedro

Dump OnTrack!

I have all kinds of ...... problems with that piece of software!
Use (just about) any other diskformatting tool will (in my opinion!) cure
your problems!

>hello all!
>
>i'm trying to install netbsd1.4 on an old iicx and ran into the
>#5-problem in a way not described in any faq...
>
>i did a first installation on an outboard scsi disk - an old dec 1gb
>disk - and everything went fine. then i downloaded the x-sets and tried
>installing them - crash. unfortunately i dowloaded them as text and not
>as binary, my bad, what the hell.
>
>seeing as the disk was a mess, i repartitioned it with the ontrack-tool,
>as i had done for the first try, fired up the installer and did a few
>sets - without problems - until bedtime. the next morning i wanted to
>add the remaining sets, started up the mac, turned on the hard disk and
>started the netbsd-install tool. when asked to select the disk, the
>outboard showed up, i selected it, hit return, and the little
>term-screen filled-up with error #5 - messages and the program halted,
>waiting for a retrun.
>
>not being in a hurry, i decided to just reformat and start over, yet the
>mkfs-tool has the same problem: i select the disk, it spits out about 5
>read errors (#5) and hangs. the ontrack-tool tells me the disk isn't
>ready and won't let me repartition.
>
>i've tried a number of things: turning on the disk before the mac and
>the other way around, reseting the scsi bus, parking the disks and
>restarting...
>
>the disk itself seems to have no problems, i can fire it up on an old
>decstation (it can't read the partition table though) and it has been
>working fine for years (literaly).
>
>i'm at a loss, any help welcome....
>
>thanks in advance
>
>pedro gonnet
>pgonnet@student.ethz.ch

regards/mvh

Niels S. Eliasen

Delfi Konsult
Kildeager 2D
St. Valby                                    Mailid:  nse@ruc.dk
DK-4000 Roskilde                            Tel/Fax: +4546786050
Denmark                                    Cellular: +4521246530