Subject: Re: Telnet problems
To: Erik M. Winkler <Erik.Winkler@ey.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1999 09:48:36
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Leo Weppelman wrote:

> On Thu 10 Jun 1999, Erik M. Winkler wrote:
> > Still having telnet problems.  Below is the response I get using BetterTelnet.
> >
> > NetBSD/mac68k (demon) (ttyp0)
> >
> > login: root
> > Password:
> > root login refused on this terminal.
> > login: ewinkler
> > Password:
> > ewinkler login refused on this terminal.
> > login: ewinkler
> > Password:
> > Login incorrect

[snip]

> I think that should do the root-login trick on ttyp0... At the same time I am
> wondering what your (ewinkler) user-id is, zero perhaps? You should probably
> make yourself a login with a non-zero uid and try again.

I'd REALLY recomend (1) giving ewinkler a non-zero uid, and (2) if you
ever are on the internet, don't use telnet for root activities (well,
don't use telnet in general from an insecure netowrk, but especially not
for root). :-)

If your home network only is connected to the internet occasionally by
ppp, you're probably fine. If you're on a school or work net, change
passwords now! :-)

Take care,

Bill