Subject: Re: Telnet problems
To: Erik M. Winkler <Erik.Winkler@ey.com>
From: Leo Weppelman <leo@wau.mis.ah.nl>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/10/1999 15:45:26
On Thu 10 Jun 1999, Erik M. Winkler wrote:
> Still having telnet problems.  Below is the response I get using BetterTelnet.
>
> NetBSD/mac68k (demon) (ttyp0)
>
> login: root
> Password:
> root login refused on this terminal.
> login: ewinkler
> Password:
> ewinkler login refused on this terminal.
> login: ewinkler
> Password:
> Login incorrect
>
> The last is for an incorrectly entered password.  Anyone know what is
> causing this?  Only root is part of the wheel group.

Root is not allowed to log in on tty ports that are not marked secure (see
/etc/ttys). This is for a good security reason. However for testing you might
want to change the ttyp0 line to:
	ttyp0   none                            network secure

I think that should do the root-login trick on ttyp0... At the same time I am
wondering what your (ewinkler) user-id is, zero perhaps? You should probably
make yourself a login with a non-zero uid and try again.

Leo.