Subject: Help a new user-passwd file busy
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: southwick <southwick@a-znet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/08/1999 20:28:22
I am brand new to NetBSD (and Unix in general).

I have successfully booted the latest version (at least the lastest from
NetBSD.org) on a Mac IIci and edited rc.conf to allow multiuser mode. I
log in as root in hopes of making other users, but when I try to run
vipw, I get an error saying the passwd file is busy. When I try to run
adduser, the command is not found.

Two questions present themselves:

1)  Why is the passwd file busy, and how do I (can I) stop this?

2)  Is adduser part of the basic.tgz set? I didn't install the optional
utility set, and so that could be why the command is not found.

Although the set up instructions say not to do so, I tried editing the
etc/passwd file directly in an attempt to add users. (I found a reference
to the format in my UNIX book.) Is this contributing to my problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ron Southwick