Subject: Re: Dyna Board Ethernet Probs
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Christopher P. Gill <cpg@scs.howard.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/08/1999 14:56:30
I'd thought that my Dayna Ethernet card was working under NetBSD, but I
was wrong.  I'd used:

/sbin/ping -v -L -c 5 bouncer

from the same machine to test it.  I thought that this would prevent
loopback sucesses from from being reported, but apparently not.  Although
this reports a success, I now realize that can't ping that interface from
any other machine, and no inet or atalk services are visible from the
network.  Pinging *out* from that interface:

/sbin/ping -v -c 5 -I bouncer www.netbsd.org

gives me 100% packet loss.  The activity light on the transceiver on the
card doesn't even blink.

On Mon, 7 Jun 1999, Christopher P. Gill wrote:

> Here's more information than anyone probably needs, from different
> places on the card:
>
>  ETHERPORT IINL, EXCELAN, S/N 152502, Copyright 1989
>  DP8390CN, NS32490CN
>  SYNOPTICS, 104-001-E, 8909
>  P/N: 9800115-00 REV: A
>  D/C: 89343
>  1420059-00 REV A

> My /var/run/dmesg.boot still reports:
>
> ae0 at nubus0 slot d: EtherPort IIN, 16KB memory
> ae0: Ethernet address <yadda yadda yada>

I've set up netatalk to use that interface too.
ifconfig now gives me:

ae0: flags=8863<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> mtu 1500
        media: Ethernet manual
        atalk 65280.58 range 0-65534 phase 2 broadcast 65280.58

> FWIW, I'm still using the generic kernel, and my EtherNIC hasn't moved
> from slot D.
>
> After getting it working with MacOS, I telnetted in (on
> sn0) from my PPC machine to bring up the ae0 interface, with:
>
> # ifconfig ae0 inet bouncer netmask 255.255.255.0
>
> bouncer is defined in my /etc/hosts file as:
>
> 192.168.1.1             bouncer                 bouncer.homenet.net
>
> This worked for me.  No kernel hysterics resulted.  I can 'ping bouncer'
> with no problems.  Note that I am not using "bouncer" in my rc.conf (or
> /etc/myname).  Once I get everthing else working (i.e., IP-NAT), I'll
> probably do that.  Right now, *both* interfaces are hooked into ports on
> my hub.

This is really bugging me.  Does anyone have any hints or tips?  Is there
some way I could help to get this working sometime?  Note that I'm no
kernel hacker.

"Don't die wondering..."                http://www.cldc.howard.edu/~cpg
                                              email: cpg@scs.howard.edu
chris out-              Christopher P. Gill
  peace.        C.L.D.C. Senior System Operator (Ret.)