Subject: LC limitations
To: port-mac68k <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Knight <dknight@bakerbooks.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/07/1999 11:51:32
Mike (Bikers don't *DO* taglines) wrote:

>Yes, I stand corrected...According to Apple Spec, the original LC had 2 MBs
>on the motherboard, while the LC II, III, & III+ had 4 MBs. Both the LC and
>the LC II can only address 10 MBs of memory, though, even though the 4 MB
>on the logic board along with twin 4 MB SIMMs would give you 12 MBs. <RANT>
>Dunno why they bothered upping the logic board mem in the II while leaving
>that limitation. Heh, there's lotsa design decisions I've never
>understood....

In my other life, I run the Low End Mac site <http://lowendmac.com/>. One
of my favorite sections, although not well received by some, is the Road
Apples section. Here I take a hard look at some dumb Apple designs. The
LC, LC II, Classic II, and Color Classic are traditional favorites in
this category for:

1. The 10MB RAM ceiling.
2. The 16-bit memory bus with a 32-bit CPU.
3. And a 16-bit PDS.

To add insult to injury, the Classic II is missing the PDS.

Okay, back to BSD.

Dan Knight, information systems manager        dknight@bakerbooks.com
  Baker Book House Company, Ada, Michigan <http://www.bakerbooks.com>

  "In view of the fact that God limited the intelligence of man,
  it seems unfair that He did not also limit his stupidity."
                                               - Konrad Adenauer