Subject: Re: First BSD system
To: Ulrich Hausmann <ulrich.hausmann@a2e.hp.shuttle.de>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/1999 20:22:50
>Mike,
>
>if memory not fails, the LC (and many, but not all LCII) only had 2 MB ram
>onboard. In this case the possibly ram configurations are, 2 MB, 4 MB 2 x
>1MB in the simm slots), 6 MB (2 x 2 MB), 10 MB (2 x 4MB). BUT: the LCs
>might result as 8 MB machines, because there isn't enabled in the Memory
>control panel the 32b it addressing option. Thsi, obviously, is true for
>all the other machines as well (I think the last OS, which offered the
>option to choose between 24bit and 32bit addressing was 7.5.5.).
>
>Kind regards, Ulrich
>
>At 22:43 Uhr on 04.06.1999, Michael G. Schabert wrote:
>
>> Actually, THE LCs have 4 MB soldered to the motherboard, with 2 slots. So,
>> if it's got 8 MB, there's only 4 MB that you can cannibalize. Then again,
>> you'd be leaving it with enough to still be a usable system anyway :).

Yes, I stand corrected...According to Apple Spec, the original LC had 2 MBs
on the motherboard, while the LC II, III, & III+ had 4 MBs. Both the LC and
the LC II can only address 10 MBs of memory, though, even though the 4 MB
on the logic board along with twin 4 MB SIMMs would give you 12 MBs. <RANT>
Dunno why they bothered upping the logic board mem in the II while leaving
that limitation. Heh, there's lotsa design decisions I've never
understood...like why the hell did they come out with a Classic, which is
just a crippled Mac SE (crippled because there's no SE PDS slot...no slots
at all...can you say iMac?). </RANT>

Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.