Subject: extended extended keyboard support?
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: John Valdes <valdes@macavity.uchicago.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/05/1999 14:53:42
All,

Have either of these functions been implemented for extended
keyboards?

1) LEDs (Caps Lock, etc).  I see there's some code for this in
   dev/kbd.c, but it's currently disabled by a "#ifdef notyet/#endif"
   block.  What's the current status of this?

2) Independent left and right modifier keys (eg, under X, separate
   Shift_L and Shift_R, Control_L & Control_R, etc).  Currently, the
   right side modifiers generate *_L events.  According to "Guide to
   Macintosh Family Hardware":

    "If your application needs to be able to distinguish the
     right-hand Option [, Shift] and Control keys from the
     corresponding keys on the left side of the keyboard, you can
     cause the keyboard to generate different transition codes for
     those keys ... by changing the value of the Device Handler ID in
     Keyboard register 3 from $0002 to $0003."

   Anyone know if this works for all (Apple & 3rd party) extended
   keyboards?

   To be honest, I don't really have a use for this, but it would be
   useful if someone wanted to, eg, remap the caps lock and control
   keys on the left of the keyboard, but preserve the use of the right
   side control key as a control key.

I'd be willing to work on either of these... ;)

John