Subject: Re: First BSD system
To: Daniel Knight <dknight@bakerbooks.com>
From: None <cruller@unicom.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/04/1999 10:30:23
Daniel Knight wrote:

> Jer writes:
>
> For the short term, I just want to set up a learning machine. Once I feel
> less clueless, I'd like to put BSD on the Quadra as a web server.
>
> >If memory serves me right an 8 meg LCs might come w/ (2) 4 meg simms,
> >I'll have to check,  that could give you :24 megs in the IIcx;SE/30
>
> That hadn't even occurred to me, but would provide me with 16MB for the
> IIcx, IIsi, or SE/30.

Here is what NewerTechs GURU says
cpu   simms  #pins   min
      slots  /simm  speed
-------------------------
IIcx    8    30pin  120ns
IIsi    4    30pin  100ns
SE/30   8    30pin  120ns
LC      2    30pin  100ns
LCII    2    30pin  100ns

That would give you 24 for a IIcx or SE/30 if you cannabalize the
IIsi(8Mb), LC(8Mb) & LCII(8Mb) or 17 for the IIsi(1Mb on board) of you
cannabalize the LC & LCII

> BTW, there seems to be a lot of talk about the FPU on this list. How much
> difference does it make?

Good question.  I don't have any quantitive(sp?) benchmarks but an fpu
is always faster (2x maybe) at floating point operations than the
cpu/system is at emulating floating point operations.  If you're running
POV ray all the time an fpu becomes more important than running simple
learning type activities like you're doing.  That being said does the
4Mhz(20%) cpu speed advantage of a IIsi w/o fpu outweigh the extra 4-8
megs of memory and an fpu you'll get on a IIcx?...Any
one?.....Buller?....Buller?....Buller?  The IIsi also uses main memory
for video where the IIcx uses a card with its own vram ----->faster
console.

For what you're doing with these older macs it's most likely a wash.

Jer