Subject: Re: First BSD system
To: None <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
From: Ken Nakata <knakata@itpjp.co.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/04/1999 11:46:32
On Thu, 3 Jun 1999 14:50:39 -0700 (PDT), Colin Wood wrote:

> netbsd supports 68882 FP emulation just fine (and has for several years
> now).  it is the 68LC040 FPE that has a problem (with the FMOVEM?
> instruction).  according to a recent note from Ken, the FPE is actually
> more accurate than a full-blown 68040 :-)

Well, yes, only when rounding the internal extended precision result
to IEEE single/double precision, it is now ;-)  I think it's a bug in
68040 FPU which may have been fixed in some mask revision (never
checked).

As a matter of fact, m68k FPE should be much more accurate than it
used to be, with my recent changes commited by Allen (could someone
confirm this theory with Steve's latest snapshot on an FPU-less 68030
box?  Only mac68k I've got are a Quadra 840AV and a PowerBook 520, so
I can't test it myself; though I've done an intensive test on the
emulation functions in the userland).

I hope it's a little faster than before as I changed the interanl FP
representation from sparc-inherited 113-bit mantissa to more 68k-ish
95-bit one.

Sorry, no good news on it running on the 68LC040 :-(

Ken