Subject: Re: Sonic Systems ethernet cards
To: Joe Laffey <joe@laffeycomputer.com>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/03/1999 10:43:49
Joe Laffey wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Jun 1999, Colin Wood wrote:
>
> > Joe Laffey wrote:
> > >
> > > I have NetBSD running on a Q700 and love it. I would like to put it on a
> > > Performa 476. This machine has a full 68040 that I put in it (swapped the
> > > chip). This machine also has an ethernet card in the PDS slot (I think).
> > > The card is made by Sonic Systems.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know if this setup will/might work?
> >
> > it certainly might...try booting a kernel from the macos.  if it gets to
> > the point of trying to mount a root filesystem, and if it recognizes your
> > ethernet card, it'll probably work.
>
> Two questions... You can boot directly from MacOS without having to setup
> the partitions and everything? (If so, please direct me toward the docs on
> this.)

yes....take a look at the faq for a detailed explanation, but simply
pointing the booter at a raw kernel file (or a gzipped kernel file, but
not a gzipped, tarred kernel file) in macos and checking the single-user
box should work just fine.

> What would the designation of the above mentioned ethernet card be? On my
> Q700 it's sn0

it depends on the controller chip.  it might be either ae0 or sn0.

later.

colin