Subject: RE: kernel
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/01/1999 20:36:27
On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

> I did that ps from the db> prompt and didn't see any thing with
> *getty* in it. xdm was in the list twice; one "xdm 	wait"
> and one "xdm 	select"  is that normal?

Yeah, that's normal. "xdm" spawns one child per display to handle the
login widget(s). You're starting xdm from rc.conf, right? What happens
when you enable a getty on ttye0 instead, login as root, and type
`exec startx'? The "exec" replaces the shell, preventing it from
fighting X for the keyboard. The getty will be suspended until the X
server quits, and then you'll be asked to log in again. If the
keyboard still doesn't work, it indicates a problem with the X server.

> I was wondering if this caplock problem could be related to this kernel
> booting  problem.  That adb_direct.c has to do with the apple desktop bus,
> right?  Has that been changed since 1.3.3 to 1.4?  I was thinking of getting
> some of the old kernel source and swapping out adb_direct.c with the 1.3.3
> version and see what happens.  Has anyone tried that?

Doubt it. A lot has changed since 1.3.3. Someone really should file a
pr on this.