Subject: RE: kernel
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/01/1999 00:09:36

> It's not the DEBUG, per se. Making random, unrelated changes to the
> config is likely to have the same effect (50%-50%). I'd also noticed
> that some kernels that hang on my Quadra 630 will still boot half of
> the time on the 840AV, but some hang on both.
>
> The most interesting thing I've found, by far, is that changing the
> delay after reset in adb_reinit does something. In my mind, this rules
> out wierdness in the compiler (the problem appeared coincident with
> egcs), and kernel size problems, at least.
>
> Please try this: Back up /usr/src/sys/arch/mac68k/dev/adb_direct.c.
> Find the line that says `delay(3000);'--it's line 2037 in my file. Try
> some different numbers here. I've gotten results by changing it to
> 2000, or 4000. Once you have built a kernel configured to hang, you
> would only have to change the file, cd to your compile directory, and
> "make". It pulls in the one change, and fairly quickly makes a new
> kernel with only a few bytes different than the old one. What I've
> done in the past is copy a bunch of them to root (with different
> names), and tried them one after the other.
>
> It would be really interesting to find a narrow range where it fails
> consistently. I haven't found time to do this yet myself. In addition,
> independent confirmation would be nice. For your effort, you might
> even get a working kernel without all the DEBUG baggage.

  I'll give that a try tomorrow.  What led you to that area of the
kernel to make a change in?  I myself haven't got a single kernel
to boot OK without that that DEBUG option included.
	You called it "baggage".  Does that slow down the system quite
a bit?

  One more thing aside from the kernel.  You said you tried to set up
that mgetty a while ago-- was that very difficult to try and get going.
I went to the mgetty homepage and started reading some of the
documentation and it is all very difficult for me.

  How did you learn about setting that up? What references did you use?
Is there a NetBSD howto about that?

		Guy

Guy Santiglia  Quadra 610, 50 MHZ, NetBSD 1.4!
South Korea