Subject: RE: kernel
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/31/1999 11:03:57
Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net> wrote:

>  I tried that delay(2000) and 4000 without the DEGUG and it booted farther
>with 4000.  I got as far as my xdm login screen and then left me with
>a frozen keboard. (couldn't login)  so now I'm trying 5000 to see what
>happens.
>When I tried 2000 it froze at the same old spot "adbo at obio0"
>It does seem to have an effect.

I've never seen this problem with the old MRG based Kernels but I do see
it with the GENERIC kernels on my system.  I have noticed that it doesn't
occur with every boot though, and so far have never seen a case where
just rebooting the system didn't get me past this hang. I'm also running
xdm (when I'm successful in getting the system fully booted).

The keyboard upcase lock problem mentioned previously is, I believe, an
old problem that has resurfaced.  I recall having this problem on a
number of occasions in old 1.2x and 1.3 kernels.  My solution was to keep
trying with the caps-lock key and eventually it would drop back into a
non-locked state.  This was with MRG based kernels as the
GENERIC/HWDIRECT ones didn't work on my system back in those days.

-bob