Subject: RE: kernel
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/30/1999 12:07:28
On Tue, 1 Jun 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

>   I'll give that a try tomorrow.  What led you to that area of the
> kernel to make a change in?  I myself haven't got a single kernel
> to boot OK without that that DEBUG option included.

I first noticed this problem last year, and finally filed pr/6839 in
January. The symptoms would come and go with each sup. The larger
question is, "Why do always find something in the last place you
look?" It could also be the case that I'm simply wrong.

> 	You called it "baggage".  Does that slow down the system quite
> a bit?

Well, it can't help you, but it can hurt you. If your console is not
being flooded with cryptic error messages, then it's probably not
hurting much.

>   One more thing aside from the kernel.  You said you tried to set up
> that mgetty a while ago-- was that very difficult to try and get going.
> I went to the mgetty homepage and started reading some of the
> documentation and it is all very difficult for me.
>
>   How did you learn about setting that up? What references did you use?
> Is there a NetBSD howto about that?

There is a newsgroup, de.alt.comm.mgetty. It's supposed to be English
language even thought it's in the de heirarchy, and is, mostly.

I never did get mgetty to work. I did get uugetty to answer the phone.
Afterwards I finally realized that I don't truly want my home computer
answering the phone. Sorry.