Subject: Re: kernel postmortem?
To: None <j-valdes@uchicago.edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/28/1999 09:54:42
On Thu, 27 May 1999, John Valdes wrote:

> Frederick Bruckman writes:
>
> > But you're not running perl compiled for 1.3, are you?
>
> Yes, this is a copy of perl 5 which I compiled under 1.3.  I saved my
> 1.3 install under /oldroot, so my 1.3 shared libraries are still
> available under /oldroot/usr/lib.  If I invoke perl under 1.4 using:
>
>   prompt> env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/oldroot/usr/lib \
>           perl -e 'print "Hello, World!\n"'
>
> it works fine.  If I invoke it directly, so that the runtime linker
> uses the 1.4 libs in /usr/lib, then perl core dumps.

In general, that should work. If you try to run a program that was
linked against a library with a lower major version number, it won't
launch at all. I've never done exactly what you're doing though--I've
alway's dumped the new libraries in the with old. I suspect you've
tickled a bug in the kernel that isn't normally apparent.

In the case of perl, something in current broke it, even for new
builds of perl. AFAIK, it's fixed in the current package. My build of
perl5, built against 1.3J, seems to work OK with 1.4. I don't use it
much, though. Your one-liner works, at least!