Subject: Re: New installation report
To: None <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: Michael G. Schabert <mikeride@prez.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/28/1999 02:00:23
>Finally, here's the question:  Isn't is possible to do IP-NAT on a machine
>that only has *one* network interface?  If the PPC MacOS box has one of
>the private-only IP address (like 192.168.*.*), then even if it
>*physically* is seen by the DSL modem (and possibly the router on the
>other side), it'll be ignored past the router, and unreachable from beyond
>the router, right?  If the NetBSD box retransmits packets from a private
>IP address as a 'legal' one (and vice-versa), wouldn't that then solve my
>problem?  If so, how would I go about setting that up?  Would it still be
>possible without gated or routed?

Yes, this is very doable :). You'd use /etc/ifaliases to set the secondary
IP addie. You need to create a file /etc/ifaliasesif it doesn't exist.

It should be in the form:
address interface netmask
ie.
192.168.1.1 sn0 255.255.255.0

That way, you'd get the "real" IP for the Ethernet card from the DHCP in
the cable box, but the 192 IP would also be active on that interface. The
rest of the IPNAT HowTo should work as normal. I have a static IP so I
don't remember what to put in ipnat.conf for dynamic ones offhand.

Hope this helps,
Mike
Bikers don't *DO* taglines.