Subject: Re: kernel postmortem?
To: j-valdes@uchicago.edu, Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/27/1999 12:17:11
On Thu, 27 May 1999, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Wed, 26 May 1999, John Valdes wrote:
>
> > > I can't seem to get any useful information [out of the core file
> > > saved by savecore], eg:

You need to have compiled your kernel with debugging info, by adding this
line to your kernel config:
makeoptions     DEBUG="-g"      # compile full symbol table

If you haven't changed your kernel source since you built the last kernel,
you should be able to reconfig the kernel, make clean && make, and you'll
get an ok kernel.

Then cd to your kernel build directory and:

gdb netbsd.gdb

then type "target kcore <core file>" where <core file> will probably be
/var/crash/netbsd.#.core with # a number.

The order of operations is important. I did target kcore, then did file
netbsd, and got something like you did. I then did things as above, and
got lots of info. Even line numbers in files!

Take care,

Bill