Subject: Re: kernel
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
From: Colin Wood <cwood@ichips.intel.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/27/1999 10:38:13
Guy Santiglia wrote:

> > Well, GENERIC is supposed to be the config for the generic kernel,
> > except when it isn't. :) INSTALL is the kernel that's small enough to
> > fit on the install floppy. Has anyone installed a mac68k from floppy
> > yet? The others are samples and working configs from machines past and
> > present. They're intended to give you ideas for making your own custom
> > configuration.
> >
>    That's funny--  when I tried to build the INSTALL configuration,
> it was bigger than the GERERIC configuration.  Maybe I did something
> wrong??

That's because it includes about 2MB of built-in ramdisk ;-)  You're
supposed to put a filesystem onto it so that you have a self-contained
install environment.  It's also generally gzipped.  Once it's gzipped, I
think the whole thing fits in under 1.2MB of disk.  In fact, if the Booter
reliably supported a kernel that was compressed with 'gzip -9', I think
it'll fit in less than 1MB, even with the ramdisk filesystem filled in.
My experiments showed that the Booter doesn't like this too much, tho.

>   Now that I got one to compile and boot.  I'll try and trim it down to
> the minimum configuration that I need and see what happens.

Good luck!

Later.

Colin