Subject: Re: Mac Memory Hardware, was: How should I build Postgres?
To: Henry B. Hotz <hotz@jpl.nasa.gov>
From: Jude Giampaolo <jude@prozac.eeap.cwru.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/26/1999 22:38:51
At 4:51 PM -0700 5/26/99, Henry B. Hotz wrote:
>>More specifically, does the Apple memory system support the special memory
>>cycle used by the TAS instruction?
>>
>Ah! That's a good question.  I don't know.  Anyone else?

I was under the impression that some hardware does support it and some does
not. A while back I read one of Apple's technotes that indicated that a
specific piece of hardware did not support RMW bus cycles and you therefore
should not include instruction that would initiate one. I think the
hardware throws a bus error if you try it. If I come accross the note I'll
post a reference to it on the port-mac68k list.

--
Jude Giampaolo            'I feel better having screamed, don't you?'
jude@ktb.ee.psu.edu