Subject: Re: kernel
To: Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/25/1999 12:36:58
On Tue, 25 May 1999, Guy Santiglia wrote:

>   I'm having trouble getting a custom kernel to run on my quadra.
> Even if I just build the generic kernel without changing anything,
> when I boot it opens up the xdm login window and the keyboard does
> not work.  I can't login.  The only kernel that will boot OK is the
> one that came with sets.
>
> Is anyone else having trouble getting home compiled kernels to boot
> on with 1.4?

There's a known problem where some of them hang earlier, at the adb
probe. I've never had a problem once it's gotten that far.

Are you sure you're not running a getty on the console or on ttye0?
Both of those lines in /etc/ttys should be "off" or commented out. The
getty competes with the X server for the keyboard, and it's a toss up
who's going to win. So it could work or not depending on the phase of
the moon, etc.