Subject: Re: Router, gateway, or something like that
To: Evan Fletcher <evan@router.ecmhs.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/24/1999 15:02:45
On Sat, 22 May 1999, Evan Fletcher wrote:

> I have a cable modem and a LAN with four macs (2 running NetBSD).=20
> All four macs are connected to a Asant=E9 FriendlyNet Ethernet hub with=
=20
> the cable modem plugged into the "Uplink" port.  With the cable modem=20
> connected, I am unable to have an AppleTalk network.  Without the=20
> modem, AppleTalk works fine.  I have discussed this problem with the=20
> cable company, but they are too stupid to do anything about it.=20
> (They have even asked me for mac help in the past.)  The ultimate=20
> problem is that I am unable to share files easily and most=20
> importantly, I am unable to network my printer without AppleTalk.
>=20
> So where does this involve NetBSD you ask?  One of my IIci's (NetBSD=20
> 1.3.3 -- haven't had enough time to upgrade to 1.4) has two ethernet=20
> cards.  I would like this to act as a gateway for three machines and=20
> allow TCP/IP traffic to pass on through the cable modem and AppleTalk=20
> packets to be blocked from the cable modem, hopefully allowing an=20
> AppleTalk network to be formed among the two MacOS computers and the=20
> printer.  Unfortunately for me, I have been unable to figure out how=20
> to accomplish this task.  I thought routed might work, but I can't=20
> figure out how to configure that.  I have also looked at gated, but I=20
> have no idea if that will work either.  I have turned on ipfilter in=20
> /etc/rc.conf, and this has allowed me to set this computer as the=20
> "router address" in the TCP/IP CDEV, but the computer only utilizes=20
> ae0, instead of both ae0 and ae1.  This ASCII diagram might help=20
> describe what I need.
>=20
>=20
> LAN --->  HUB ---> [NetBSD ae0] ---> [some software] ---> [NetBSD=20
> ae1] ---> [cable modem]
>=20
> *It is important to note that I do not need NAT, since the cable=20
> company doesn't care (or seem to notice) how many IP addresses I use.

So you want Ethertalk only one the ae0 interface? Then you can go into the
netatalk setup (/usr/pkg/etc/atalkd.conf I think) and delete any reference
to ae1 (the interface where you want to Appletalk), start atalkd, and you
should be fine.

Assuming I'm understanding what you want. :-)

Take care,

Bill