Subject: Re: How to install netatalk
To: Peter Gutbrod <gutbrod@media-fact.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1999 07:38:49
On Sat, 22 May 1999, Peter Gutbrod wrote:

> Does anyone know a Howto or tutorial or can give me a short explanation
> how I can implement netatalk on netbsd/mak68k?

First, you'll need a kernel with NETATALK support compiled in. The
generic kernel that comes with th 1.4 distribution should be OK.

Next, you'll need to install the netatalk package. You could watch
<ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/pkgsrc/net/netatalk/README.html>
and wait for a binary package to be put up there, or you could roll
your own. The documentation for the package system is at
<http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/packages.html>.
Executive summary: obtain, and untar pkgsrc.tar.gz; cd
/usr/pkgsrc/net/netatalk; connect to the net; and "make install". (If
you're not root, you'll be prompted for the root password at the
appropriate time.)

A few configuration files will be installed into /usr/pkg/etc,
including the rc.atalkd script. As root, run "/usr/pkg/etc/rc.atalkd"
and watch for errors. It will take a few minutes to discover the
network and start all the daemons. Assuming that you didn't get any
serious errors, you could go to a connected Mac, open the chooser, and
login now.

To mount server volumes on the Mac, the only thing you need to
configure is the .AppleVolumes or AppleVolumes file in your home
directory. The syntax is fairly simple: anything entry that starts
with a slash will look like a volume to mount to the chooser; anything
that starts with a `.' is type/creator mapping. You could also change
AppleVolumes.system and AppleVolumes.default in /usr/pkg/etc, but the
AppleVolumes.default is ignored if the user supplies an .AppleVolumes
file (or AppleVolumes, so you can edit it from the Mac, as . files are
invisible).

If you have printer on the NetBSD box that you want to serve for the
Macs, you need to obtain the PPD file for that printer, and copy it
both to /usr/pkg/etc, and to the appropriate folder on the Mac.
That's "System Folder:Extensions:Printer Descriptions:" on my system.
I also have the following in /usr/pkg/etc/papd.conf

Epson Stylus Pro:\
	:pr=lp:pd=/usr/pkg/etc/Stylus Pro.PPD:

You may have to restart papd, and then you should be able to mount the
printer from the chooser, and select the correct ppd file when asked.
That particular PPD file is available from Epson's web site--it's
supposed to be for Birmy Power Rip, but it works fine with
ghostscript.

Finally add something like the following to /etc/rc.local, so that
netatalk is started automatically on the next boot:

if [ -f /usr/pkg/etc/rc.atalk ]; then
        echo
        /bin/sh /usr/pkg/etc/rc.atalk
fi