Subject: Re: Help with" make && make install"
To: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/22/1999 01:47:03
On Fri, 21 May 1999, greg walsh wrote:

> When I booted and went to look, the only thing in that directory was
> "sys.mk".  Whereis doesn't find it anywhere on the disk.

As Bill Studenmund pointed out, it looks like your /usr wasn't mounted
when you unpacked comp.tgz. I can't think of anything else.

"whereis" searches the standard path--you use "locate" to find files
that could be anywhere. "locate" looks in a database, which makes it
very fast and convenient. You can uncomment the line in the
distribution root's crontab to keep the database up to date. (Then run
"/bin/sh /etc/weekly" one time manually, if you're impatient.)

> And thanks for the input on window managers.  I imagine to try them
> out, one needs to install one, then deinstall and install another
> --correct?  I can't install several, and then just select one to be the
> active one in a config file somewhere.

If you use xdm, just create an ~/.xsession script that "exec"'s your
prefered wm at the end of it. (To get your "stock" look back, use
"exec xsm", and let xsm start twm.) Additionally, afterstep and
windowmaker both have entries in the default menus to switch to some
other wm's. You can often do the same thing from an xterm, but that
could get, uh... interesting.

KDE has an xdm replacement, kdm, that adds a widget to choose a
preferred window manager. It also remembers the last choice for a
particular user. For that to actually do anything, you need to put a
case statement in your ~/.xsession that hinges on the value passed
into ~/.wmrc. (There are other ways, too.)