Subject: Re: [Q] /etc/aliases configuration
To: port-mac68k NetBSD.ORG <port-mac68k@netbsd.org>
From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Mat=EDas?= Giovannini <matias@k-bell.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1999 13:16:06
Christopher Brown wrote:

> Oops :-) I forget to give you some information. In /etc/sendmail.cf ,
> look for the following lines:
>
> # "Smart" relay host (may be null)
> DS
>
> After the "DS" put the name or ip number of your SMTP host. Then, if
> sendmail is running (shows up in ps aux) send it a "kill -HUP
> <sendmail-pid>" to get it to reread the sendmail.cf . Not necessary if
> sendmail is not running, because it reads the config file on startup.

Thank you very much for your help and time, Mr. Brown.

Amazingly enough, sendmail apparently took the mailer address from my
provider's nameserver, and it worked. I had to tweak the hostname
variable in rc.conf, though: it was originally
"nameserver.script.org.ar" (name and domain of the BSD), and sendmail
was sending mail from <mgiovann@nameserver.script.org.ar> (my account
and the hostname). The SMTP mailer rejected the domain name as invalid,
it only recognizes "script.org.ar" as valid; so I changed hostname to
"script.org.ar" and it worked. I wonder if there is a cleaner way to set
the domain in sendmail.cf that doesn't involve travestying the machine name.

Is the O'Reilly book about sendmail any good? Maybe I could have figured
this out with the info there, because I feel a little abusive about
posing so many questions :-)

Best regards,
Matías.

--
Do I contradict myself? Very well, I contradict myself.
I am large, I contain multitudes.