Subject: Re: Help with" make && make install"
To: greg walsh <gwalsh@artec.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1999 10:55:38
On Thu, 20 May 1999, greg walsh wrote:

> I've got NetBSD 1.4 running on an 840av.  I just downloaded and
> untarred the current pkgsrc.tar.gz on my NetBSD hard drive in the usr
> partition.  This is my first attempt to install *any* packages, and
> this portion went fine.
>
> But when I try to build a package it fails, giving me the message:
>
> line 318: could not find bsd.own.mk
> ../../mk/bsd.pkg.mk

bsd.own.mk lives in /usr/share/mk. Did you install the compiler
(comp.tar.gz)?

> Oh... One more question.  Is there a "prefered" window manger of
> Xwindows.  There are several in the pkgsrc and I'm not familiar with
> any of them.  I can imagine this being just personal preference, but if
> one is more full featured and/or stable on a mac I'd appreciate some
> feedback on it.

There's no preferred window manager--the decision as to which to use
is intensely personal. A good place to start is by downloading
screenshots from their web pages.

I'm just now shopping for a window manager; having used the "stock"
twm for some time, so I don't mind sharing my observations with you.
KDE is very featureful, and it has that Windows/Mac sort of look. On
my 486 at work, it's attracting positive attention. The Win95/Mac
users say, "Wow, for the first time, that looks like something I
recognize." I feel, though, it would be a little too much for the Mac.
The audio daemons, e.g., are certain not to work on the 840AV anyway.

Afterstep looks pretty cool on my 840AV, 17" Sony 220GS; it has a
small footprint, but it's not quite as minimal as twm. The philosophy
seems to suit me. It looks to be a pain to configure, though. There
doesn't seem to be any way to twiddle the default "start" menu--you
have to build a whole 'nother one from scratch.

I'm downloading Windowmaker as we speak. Like Afterstep, it's another
NextStep clone, but unlike Afterstep, it has a configuration tool.
We'll see. The only way to really tell what you're going to like is to
try it, after all.