Subject: Re: [Q] /etc/aliases configuration
To: None <matias@k-bell.com>
From: Christopher Brown <chrsbrwn@mindspring.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/21/1999 11:34:14
"Matías Giovannini" wrote:
> Thank you for the reply! I have two further questions, though: How do I
> configure the name of the SMTP server receiving the mail? As an MX
> record in the named database? And, when I do "mail" as root, it says:
> "/var/mail/<username>: No such file or directory", where <username> is
> the login name of the user receiving the forwarded mail. What's the problem?

Oops :-) I forget to give you some information. In /etc/sendmail.cf ,
look for the following lines:

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DS

After the "DS" put the name or ip number of your SMTP host. Then, if
sendmail is running (shows up in ps aux) send it a "kill -HUP
<sendmail-pid>" to get it to reread the sendmail.cf . Not necessary if
sendmail is not running, because it reads the config file on startup.

Your second problem is because the default mailbox for <username>
doesn't exist. The following steps (run as root) create an empty one:

touch /var/mail/<username>               # create the mailbox
chown <username> /var/mail/<username>    # make it owned by the user
chmod 600 /var/mail/<username>           # make the permissions -rw-------

Try the mail test as root again, in order to check the mail path.

--
Chris Brown -- Macintosh networking/Web development
<chrsbrwn@mindspring.com> <http://www.mindspring.com/~chrsbrwn>