Subject: RE:NetBSD vs. linux mac68k
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NETBSD.ORG>
From: Steve Revilak <revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 05/17/1999 13:48:20
Guy Santiglia <fredfl2@soback.kornet.net> wrote:

/ I'm not trying to start any arguments.  But, I was wondering if
/ any one has tried that linux for the mac68k.

I had, before I had even heard of NetBSD -- roughly a year and a half
ago.  At that time, their installation was similiar, albieit a little
more complicated: one needed to copy /etc/ files out, edit and then put
the edited versions back in the unix filesystem.

With the mac68k port of linux one had the option of doing a test boot
from a ram disk instead of having to first install the filesystem.
Granted, there wasn't much you could do once you were there, but it did
allow a farily painless confirmation of the fact that you machine would
boot.

Tried with my Quadra 605.  Boot it did, so I went ahead and collected
the rest of the filesystem.  Afterwords, I found something that I had
missed in their "currrent support notes:.  My machine booted, but SCSI
support for it's particular chipset hadn't been implemented -- NFS
booting was the only option.  Then I found out about NetBSD...

FWIW, there is one thing that I found during this course of events.  Our
mailing list was a lot more supportive thatn theirs at the time.
(Disclaimer: I really haven't monitored theirs since then).

Steve
revilak@umbsky.cc.umb.edu